The Beryl Institute is the global community of practice dedicated to improving the patient experience through collaboration and shared knowledge. We define patient experience as the sum of all interactions, shaped by an organization's culture, that influence patient perceptions across the continuum of care.
Changing healthcare by advancing an unwavering commitment to the human experience.
We believe this is achieved by:
- Understanding experience is defined as the sum of all interactions shaped by an organization’s culture, that influence patient perceptions across the continuum of care.
- Acknowledging experience (1) encompasses the critical elements of healthcare from quality, safety and service, to cost and population health issues that drive decisions, impact access and ensure equity and (2) reaches beyond the clinical encounter to all interactions one has with the healthcare system.
- Recognizing that human experience reinforces the fundamental principle of partnership and is therefore inclusive of the experiences of those receiving and delivering care as well as all who support them.
- Reinforcing that focused action on experience drives positive clinical outcomes, strong financial results, clear consumer loyalty, solid community reputation and broad staff and patient/family engagement.
As a community, we commit to:
- Elevating the importance of experience across all care settings
- Generating, collecting and sharing ideas and proven practices
- Engaging a broad range of voices and views
- Putting patients, families and care partners first
- Recognizing the value of the entire healthcare team
- Reinforcing experience encompasses quality, safety, service, cost, and outcomes
We operate from and believe experience improvement success is driven by these core values:
Commitment to open access, a spirit of generosity and the active invitation to engage and contribute that continuously expands reach and sustains growth
Ability to rapidly reconfigure and realign resources to lead in new directions and respond as needed within the industry
Vigilance in continuously searching for new ways of thinking, doing and disseminating ideas
Purposeful consideration of expansive ideas and the engagement of all voices to ensure the broadest perspective and awareness
Recognition that overall success is driven by a willingness to partner with others in the sharing of ideas, information and action that ensures better outcomes for all involved
GUIDING PRINCIPLES FOR PATIENT EXPERIENCE EXCELLENCE
The Beryl Institute identifies eight essential actions that serve as aspirational and affirmative statements about where we as individuals, organizations and collectively as the patient experience movement should focus efforts. We invite and encourage healthcare organizations globally to consider and commit to these principles.
We believe organizations and systems committed to providing the best in experience WILL:
- Identify and support accountable leadership with committed time and focused intent to shape and guide experience strategy
Establish and reinforce a strong, vibrant and positive organizational culture and all it comprises
Develop a formal definition for what experience is to their organization
Implement a defined process for continuous patient and family input and engagement
Engage all voices in driving comprehensive, systemic and lasting solutions
Look beyond clinical experience of care to all interactions and touch points
Focus on alignment across all segments of the continuum and the spaces in between
Encompass both a focus on healing and a commitment to well-being
> 2018 Year in Review
> 2017 Year in Review
OUR SISTER ORGANIZATION
Patient Experience Institute (PXI) is an independent, non-profit, 501(c)(3) organization committed to the improvement of patient experience through evidence-based research and professional development efforts including certification and continuing education. PXI’s focus is on providing a framework for supporting the development of the field of patient experience.