This white paper explores the significance of safety strategies in healthcare settings and how these practices influence the patient and clinician experience. The Experience of Safety in Healthcare: A Call to Expand Perceptions and Solutions, reflects on the integrated nature of safety and service and how they interact to create the overall experience of patients, families and clinicians.
The paper acknowledges the success, failure and efficiency of all safety efforts is fundamental to the experience of patients and families. In addition, the safety systems in place in an organization directly shape and define the clinician’s experience.
Generated from these concepts, key recommendations in integrating safety and experience are explored:
• Acknowledge safety as a primary driver for overall experience of both patients and clinicians
• Approach safety and patient experience through a unified lens
• Make financial choices that reflect a commitment to the experience of safety
• Make a conscious, accountable and strategic effort to build a culture of caring
• Optimize technology to care for the caretakers
• Engage patient and family voice to lead change and drive future solutions
Click on the eyeglass icon for a companion resource written through the lens of patients and families.