Patient Experience Grant and Scholar Programs
Overview and Application Process
GRANT PROGRAM OVERVIEW
In our commitment to expanding the global conversation on patient experience and the human experience in healthcare and in the interest of framing and expanding the body of knowledge on this topic, The Beryl Institute established the Patient Experience Grant Program in 2010, now offered in partnership with Patient Experience Institute.
The mission of the program is to encourage and support research and inquiry on the following:
- The value of focusing on patient experience at all touchpoints across the continuum of care
- The impact a commitment to experience has on healthcare outcomes from clinical outcomes to financial results, consumer loyalty to community reputation
The goals of the program are:
- To broaden the dialogue on the value and impact of focusing on the patient experience
- To increase the volume of data‐driven and evidence-based processes and practices in support of improving the patient and human experience in healthcare
- To frame and expand the body of knowledge and support insights around the 8 strategic lenses of the experience framework that can inform and guide healthcare strategy and actions
ELIGIBILITY AND EXPECTATIONS
The grant program is open to all healthcare professionals, patient and family members, students*, researchers and/or faculty members.
Research should be aligned with the mission and goals of the program and be either in the proposal stage, in process or near completion. Recently completed studies may be considered based on relevance to the grant program objectives.
All recipients of the grant will be asked to:
- Complete the research within a year of the grant being awarded
- Acknowledge The Beryl Institute in the research and any resulting presentations or publications
- Author a research report on the results to be published through The Beryl Institute within 18 months of being awarded the grant (View Research Report Guidelines)
- Consider the option to present findings at The Beryl Institute Patient Experience Conference upon completion of research
*Note: Doctoral Students are encouraged to apply for The Beryl Institute Scholar Program. Institute Scholars will be identified as such and will follow the same process as all grant applicants. You can find additional info on the Scholar Program below.
Patient Experience Grants are $1,000.00. Grant funds can be used for direct or indirect research expenses. The first half of grant funding will be provided within 90 days of the grant being awarded and the second half of the funding will be disbursed once the final research report is published.
Proposals must include the following (incomplete applications will be returned for all information):
- Name, title, organization name, email address, and mailing address of the principal investigator(s)
- Detailed overview of the research plan including the following specific sections:
- Executive Summary of the research process and anticipated contribution to the body of knowledge on patient experience
- List of all research objectives and accompanying description for each noting whether proposed, in process or recently completed
- Descriptive overview of the research process. This should be a comprehensive narrative of your research plan.
- Discussion of the connection of the research to the program mission and objective as well as the overall mission of The Beryl Institute to improve the patient experience.
- Timeline for completion of research that fits the grant award requirements of one year
- Funding plan with an explanation of how funding will be used.
- CV/resume(s) for the principal investigator(s)
> Download Application Template
Applications for the 2019 grant and scholar programs are currently closed.
All applications should be submitted electronically in Microsoft Word format to: email@example.com
SCHOLAR PROGRAM OVERVIEW
To complement the Patient Experience Grant Program, The Beryl Institute Scholar program supports 1-2 Professional Doctoral Students as they conduct research associated with the patient experience. Candidates come from across the Healthcare educational spectrum from Nursing to Healthcare Administration.
- Must be used for doctoral or executive doctoral patient experience-related research
- Must be professional level doctoral student (i.e. currently working in the healthcare field)
- Must acknowledge The Beryl Institute in their research and any associated publications or presentations
- Engages The Beryl Institute in their research process (including potential access to The Beryl Institute member and guest list for research purposes)
- Generates a white paper as the result of final dissertation work (also has the option to submit to Patient Experience Conference proposal or submit to Patient Experience Journal)
- Funding for The Beryl Institute Scholar will be $1000 in accordance with the guidelines of the Patient Experience Grant Program above
- Scholars are eligible for funding during the research phase of their study, i.e. dissertation
- Funds are not scholarships to be used for coursework or books
- Research support or access to subjects may be provided based on focus of study
- Applicants follow the same process and timeline as the Patient Experience Grant Program outlined above
- Additional information requested includes:
- Degree, school, anticipated completion date
- Research topic and/or question
- Executive summary of current or proposed research
- 250 word statement on why the research is relevant/will contribute to the field of patient experience