Patient Experience Grant and Scholar Programs
Overview and Application Process
Download PDF Version
GRANT PROGRAM OVERVIEW
In our commitment to support the growing conversation on the importance of the patient experience and customer service in healthcare and in the interest of framing and expanding the body of knowledge on this topic, The Beryl Institute established the Patient Experience Grant Program in 2010.
In partnership with Patient Experience Institute, the mission of the program is to encourage and support research and inquiry on the following:
- The value of focusing on patient experience before, during and after care
- The impact service efforts have on the healthcare experience
- The influence of culture on the patient experience, service and outcomes
The goals of the program are:
- To broaden the dialogue on the value and impact of focusing on the patient experience
- To increase the volume of data‐driven and evidence-based processes and practices in support of improving the patient experience
- To frame and expand the body of knowledge around patient experience practices
ELIGIBILITY AND EXPECTATIONS
Current healthcare professionals, doctoral students*, and/or faculty members may apply for this grant.
Research should be relevant to the mission and goals of the program and be either in the proposal stage, in process or near completion. Recently completed studies may be considered based on relevance to the grant program objectives.
All recipients of the grant will be asked to:
- Complete the research within a year of the grant being awarded
- Acknowledge The Beryl Institute in the research and any resulting presentations
- Author a white paper of the results to be published through The Beryl Institute within 18 months of the awarding of the grant
- Present their findings at The Beryl Institute Patient Experience Conference upon completion of research
*Note: Doctoral Students are eligible to apply for The Beryl Institute Scholar Program. Institute Scholars will be identified as such and will follow the same process as all grant applicants. Click here for more information.
$1,000.00 grants will be awarded for research and inquiry that addresses one or more of the areas outlined in the overview above. The first half of grant funding will be provided when the grant is awarded and the second half of the funding will be disbursed once all outlined expectations are completed. Grant funds can be used for direct or indirect research expenses.
Proposals must include the following (incomplete applications will be returned for all information):
Name, title, organization name, email address, and mailing address of the principal investigator(s)
Note: This program is a global program and is not limited to participants/organizations in the United States.
Detailed overview of the research plan including the following specific sections:
a. Executive Summary of the research process and anticipated contribution to the body of knowledge on patient experience
b. List of all research objectives and accompanying description for each noting whether proposed, in process or recently completed
c. Descriptive overview of the research process. This should be a comprehensive narrative of your research plan.
d. Discussion of the connection of the research to the program mission and objective as well as the overall mission of The Beryl Institute to improve the patient experience.
e. Timeline for completion of research that fits the grant award requirements of one year
f. Funding plan with an explanation of how funding will be used
CV/resume(s) for the principal investigator(s)
SCHOLAR PROGRAM OVERVIEW
To complement the Patient Experience Grant Program, The Beryl Institute Scholar program supports 1-2 Professional Doctoral Students as they conduct research associated with the patient experience. Candidates come from across the Healthcare educational spectrum from Nursing to Healthcare Administration.
- Must be used for doctoral or executive doctoral patient experience-related research
- Must be professional level doctoral student (i.e. currently working in the healthcare field)
- Must acknowledge The Beryl Institute in their research and final publications
- Engages The Beryl Institute in their research process (including potential access to The Beryl Institute member and guest list for research purposes)
- Generates a white paper as the result of final dissertation work (also has the option to submit to Patient Experience Conference proposal)
- Funding for The Beryl Institute Scholar will be $1000 in accordance with the guidelines of the Patient Experience Grant Program above.
- Scholars are eligible for funding during the research phase of their study, i.e. dissertation.
- Funds are not scholarships to be used for coursework or books.
- Research support or access to subjects may be provided based on focus of study.
- Applicants follow the same process and timeline as the Patient Experience Grant Program outlined above
- Additional information requested includes:
- Degree, school, anticipated completion date
- Research topic and/or question
- Executive summary of current or proposed research
- 250 word statement on why the research is relevant/will contribute to the field of patient experience
Submissions must be received by Friday, September 21 and recipients will be announced in early November 2017. All proposals should be submitted electronically in Microsoft Word format to: firstname.lastname@example.org.